Monday, August 15, 2011

Jetsun's Juicy Burger

I should really just quit blogging after trying The Burger's Priest. However, Richard is convinced that this Jetsun's Juicy Burger would be good, so I agreed to go.  Located right at Yonge/Empress, I saw so many options on Yonge that would make an equally great lunch, but the goal today was a good burger. For some reason, it kept reminding me of Johnny Rockets, but it's not a diner- more like a wannabe growing fast-food chain that only serves burgers.
quite the extensive menu

We both got the $5.49 Juicyburger and added cheese for $1.  Both got a small pop (free refills) and split the onion rings. What I really should've tried was their milkshake- they had 8 flavours of ice cream which could all have been turned into a delicious milkshake but too bad, I wasn't feeling it. Their menu was pretty boring, with only one type of burger and the options were either adding cheese, bacon, or chili, so I expected the condiment section to be a little more exciting.

not excited.

Their fanciest sauce was probably the garlic mayo.  I got lettuce, pickle, garlic mayo, ketchup, and dijon mustard.  I didn't like how the onion was cut and I got the pickle anyway even though it didn't look too fresh. And banana peppers are just a disgrace on any burger. I saw that they toasted my bun, which was a +1.  Then I saw them put the patty on the bun with the cheese still looking cold and unmelted on top.  -5, one of my biggest pet peeves.

Iceberg lettuce totally fails.

Romaine lettuce would probably have been a better choice because it's more flat so it can actually stay inside the burger. The cheese ended up melting a bit, which was a bit better, and tasted like good, unprocessed cheddar that just needs to melt a little more. The bun was a little too thick so I ended up not eating most of the top bun.  The patty... was pretty good, 6oz or so and you can tell that it hasn't been frozen because of how tender it is despite looking somewhat overcooked on the outside.  I wouldn't exactly call it very "juicy", but still had a nice texture that kinda tastes like a thicker Harvey's burger.  

Overall, I don't really understand the niche, because they're not exactly competitive in style, originality, variety or value. We have new fads such as Hero Burger expanding everywhere with their varieties of gourmet burger toppings and condiments, the older burger joints with their regulars that have adapted the taste, other fast-food chains, and full-service restaurants which Jetsun's Juicy Burger is none of the above. Perhaps location, since there isn't a Harvey's around there. So I can see how people would like it, kinda like how people enjoy Harveys.





No comments:

Post a Comment